Provincetown Finish Line

Provincetown Finish Line
Moments after completing PMC #20. Feeling great - but definitely in need of a hair brush to fix a severe case of "helmet hair"

PMC Day #1 8/6/11 - Sturbridge to Bourne - 110 Miles

    "Ride Bikes"
    Not sure how or when it got started, but those are always the first words out of Larry Gagnon's mouth when the alarm sounds at 4am on PMC mornings. While I am never as chipper as Larry, I will admit that my eyes opened easier this morning in anticipation of a day filled with the challenges which for 19 previous years have proved very rewarding. As I finish dressing, I remembered the two things that I know that I can't do without under any circumstances. Two simple band-aids which I "place pectorally" if you know what I mean. "Chesticular Chaffing" can ruin a perfectly good day.
    With a few thousand riders dressed to ride, breakfast in the convention hall provides a great opportunity to critique this year's riders jersey. As you can see from the photos, a blue/orange/black combination that I think is rather sharp looking. A bagel and a banana makes up my breakfast, then it's off to the start line. Not sure what her name is, but the singer of the national anthem was outstanding. Nailing the notes that she hit at 515am can't be easy. Riders self-place themselves in one of three starting lanes - I believe called "fast", "steady" and "casual". I place myself at the end of the "fast" lane. Shortly before the start, a flurry of flashbulbs near the front of the group signified the photo opportunity with 2011 celebrity riders Lance Armstrong and Senators Kerry and Brown. Ready - Set - Go!
Riders depart at 530am from pre-dawn Sturbridge
PMC Glitterati - John Kerry, Lance Armstrong, Billy Starr, Scott Brown
    The first 40 miles out of Sturbridge are often crowded and quite hilly. These reasons, along with my so so training, made conservative pacing a prudent choice. It was during this stretch that I passed 25 year rider Albert Kupcinskas. I met Albert during my first PMC in 1992. When Albert told me that he had just turned 68 years of age, I thought to myself, "Damn, I've got to ride for another 17 years? Sure hope that cancer is cured before that". 
    Rest stops are found at roughly 20-25 mile intervals along the course. I choose to skip the first stop again - it's just too early to get off the bike. Instead, I stop at Franklin/42 miles where Kristen is waiting. Rest stops represent a fine line. You need to be there long enough to eat, re-sun screen, stretch and re-fill water bottles. However, lingering too long can cause muscles to seize.
Volunteers make PMC rest stops all kinds of fun
    The Dighton-Rehoboth lunch stop is at 69 miles. It's here where many of the Holliston PMC riders touch base. This year's contingent consisted of Don Fried-Tanzer, Paul Gillespie, Kevin Wehmhoefer, Jack Connors and volunteers Pam and Will McColl. We also got to see Kristen, Kate Connors and Nancy Fried-Tanzer there. A great group of folks who we really like.
Holliston boys at lunch - Don Fried Tanzer, Paul Gillespie, Kevin Wehmhoefer, Me, Jack Connors
    I hitched up with the aforementioned Larry Gagnon for the remainder of the afternoon. Larry would make a wonderful politician, because he flip flops like a fish on dry land! He has this annoying habit of saying that he's not going to ride fast and then setting off on a torid pace. I share the blame in these instances because - for a limited time - I can crank it up and hang on to Larry's back wheel for all I'm worth. That's what happened from miles 69 through 100. It was if I had a bungee cord attached to Larry's bike.
Larry and I are way too New Hampshire to pull off the Rapper thing
    The 83 mile Lakeville stop is special as it hosts the Pedal Partner tent. There are a large number of teams that ride the PMC, and each team is coupled with a Pedal Partner. Pedal Partners are pediatric cancer patients who are being treated at the Dana Farber. As you enter the stop, there are poster size photos of each Pedal Partner by the side of the road. I make it a point to slow down and look at each photo, then I count my blessings for the health of my own kids.
Pedal Partner tent in Lakeville. It's why we ride.
    The final 10 miles of Day #1 were covered at a strong, yet more sane pace. I was happy to finally see something other than Larry's read-end ... specifically the finish line. 
    Saturday afternoon and evening are spent at The Massachusetts Maritime Academy in Bourne. I've often joked that the PMC weekend is the only time where you can ride a bike 192 miles and still gain weight. That is because of the varied and plentiful food choices. My own caloric recovery consisted of 2 cheeseburgers, 2 baked potatoes, 2 slices of pizza, 1 salad, 4 chocolate chip cookies, 4 waters, 2 energy drinks, and 1 Pepsi. Then there is the glorious massage which is provided by a group of therapists who donate their time and services. While only 15 minutes in duration, they sure hit the spot - in fact they hit many spots.
Howard after a tough 110 mile day - We all look like this at some point during the weekend
    As we prepared for bed (830pm lights out in the bunkhouse!), each of us was aware of the Sunday forecast of 70% rain. As my eyes shut, I heard the first drops of rain falling outside the dorm window. Yuck!

Statistics - 110 miles covered, 6hrs 4mins on the bike, 18.1 average mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment