Provincetown Finish Line

Provincetown Finish Line
Moments after completing PMC #20. Feeling great - but definitely in need of a hair brush to fix a severe case of "helmet hair"

PMC Day #2 8/7/11 - Bourne to Provincetown - 82 Miles

   I've always believed that karma is for real, and earned based upon good deeds or bad. So that is why it did not surprise me much when the night long rain stopped shortly after 4am reveille, and more importantly before we had to get on our bikes. That's not the first time something like that has happened. I can think of a number of instances over the years where the PMC has dodged forecasts of poor weather. Call it divine intervention, good karma, or anything that you want to. At 515am I was just really happy to get on a dry bike and drying roads.
   Sunday morning preparation consists, of course, of pulling on my Names Shirt (see below). Most of you are already familiar with the cycling jersey that I have been wearing on day #2 of the PMC since 1997. It is emblazoned with the names of roughly 150 cancer survivors/ victims/fighters that you have told me about. After 14 years of service, this version of the shirt may be retired this year. Not to worry, as the tradition will continue.
My Names Shirt - Each name is an inspiration
   The day #2 riding begins with a pre-dawn climb up and over the Bourne bridge, followed by a quick 5ish miles along the flat canal path. Next up are the rolling hills of the Service Road which parallels Route 6. The Service Road is the biking equivalent of a roller coaster. Descents are followed immediately by a climb. If you play your cards right, you can gain enough speed on your descent to carry you up most of the next climb. Given the fact that my 230 lbs performs really well with gravity on my side (downhills!), I make very certain to take advantage of this law of inertia/momentum/whatever (I failed physics).
... and it's this type of a diet that allows me to shine on the downhills
   I witnessed a few more accidents than usual heading in to the mile 40 / Brewster rest stop. It was pointed out to me that the breakdown lane white line had recently been done over with reflective road paint. This type of paint, coupled with still damp roads, is not always conducive to upright cycling. However, in the whole scheme of things the PMC is a very safe event. Post ride statistics for Sunday showed that out of thousands of cyclists, there were 7 crashes, 2 riders suffered concussions were transported and released, and 1 rider was transported to Boston due to a hip fracture.
   12 years ago, 3 year old cancer survivor Jack O'Riordan stood at the entrance of the Brewster rest stop holding a sign which read,

“Thank you! I am 3 because of you!”

Jack returned the following year having crossed out the "3" and replaced it with "4". The sign was updated similarly year after year, with Jack's PMC celebrity status growing right along with his age and size. Riders literally waited in line to have their picture taken with Jack and his annually evolving sign. Jack turned 15 this year, the minimum age for PMC riders. So instead of Jack holding his sign at Brewster this year, here is what we saw when we arrived ...


     The next section of the course travels along part of the Cape Cod rail trail. Wide, newly paved and without cars it is a real treat to ride here. It is also where I first felt that my lack of solid training hurt me. So instead of cranking along this section at 23+ mph as I did last year, I was perfectly content to allow the stronger Paul Gillespie pull me through my rough patch at somewhere closer to 20 mph.
   The final 20 mile segment from Welfleet to the Provincetown finish has always been one of celebration for me. It's a chance to gather together and finish with all of my riding pals who may not have shared the same pace up until this point. Also a chance to give thanks for having the ability and the opportunity ride a bike 192 while making a difference. Lastly, a chance to reflect upon all of those wonderful people who have supported my PMC efforts through their words and deeds.
   So as I crossed the PTown finish line for the 20th time, I experienced the same two emotions that I always have upon completing my prior PMC's. Pride for a job well done, and Relief that I can finally separate my sore rear end from the hard saddle. Perhaps at the end of my 25th PMC I'll be more reflective and deep as I cross the finish line - but then again maybe not - because with me it's real simple ... I love riding a bike, and I hate cancer.
 
Larry, Meg, Howard and I at the PTown finish line
   Statistics - 82 miles covered, 4hrs 25mins on the bike, 17.2 average mph. 

Postscript Day #1
   A hot shower and lots of food are the first two orders of business once I arrive in PTown. Having taken care of that,  Meg, Howard, Larry and I set off on foot for PTown center and the ferry boat that would bring us back to Boston. Well, the skies opened up in a big way as we walked to the boat.  But you know what - that was perfectly fine because PMC 2011 had already come to an end. Anyone still not buying my divine intervention/good karma theory?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment