Provincetown Finish Line

Provincetown Finish Line
Moments after completing PMC #20. Feeling great - but definitely in need of a hair brush to fix a severe case of "helmet hair"

PMC Eve - 8/5/11

   I think it's pretty neat that after 20 years I still get butterflies in my stomach the day before the PMC starts. And this year I have to add that butterflies in the stomach is way better than kidney stones in the stomach!
    PMC Friday started with the usual cleaning and lubing of bikes with my brother-in-law Howard Metzger. Howard's commitment to the PMC is quite impressive. For 10 years he has travelled from his home in Canton OH (1,282 mile round trip) to participate in the PMC. In his fundraising letter, Howard explains his long distance PMC participation ...

"As a family physician rarely a week goes by where I don’t interact with someone
whose life has been affected by cancer. I strive to defeat this diagnosis any way
possible via screening, diagnosing, referring and yes by riding in the PMC."
Howard and I ready to ride!
    Later in the day, Kristen, Howard and I drove to the PMC start in Sturbridge. Do not ever expect to secure a hotel room within 25 miles of Sturbridge on the first Friday evening in August. The 3,000ish PMC riders who start their weekend ride there guarantee "No Vacancy" signs everywhere you look. After checking in to our hotel, we met up with roomies and riding partners Larry Gagnon and Meg Hausman. Larry is without doubt the strongest rider of our bunch, as evidenced by his 78 mile Friday "warm up" ride from his home in Bedford NH to Sturbridge. If Larry is the strongest rider, then Meg is the strongest willed. In 2005 Meg was diagnosed with breast cancer. Yet in a feat that gives me goose bumps to this day, she completed the entire 192 miles of the PMC nine (9) days after undergoing a lateral mastectomy. Her three male PMC roommates are no where near that tough.
<><><>     <><><>  <><>
Larry, Meg and I - Will we still be smiling after 192 miles?
    PMC registration is nothing less than a finely choreographed ballet. 3,000+ riders are ushered through The Sturbridge Host Hotel function hall, picking up their hospital-like wrist ID bands, water battles and colorful riding jerseys. I digress, but cycling is really the only sport where the more odd and garish the clothing, the better off the wearer is. Yes those spandex shorts are odd looking on us (some more than others), but think of wearing the alternative for 192 miles. Likewise, the shirts are typically ugly and/or wild colors, but they certainly help motorists to see us more easily.
    Next it's on to the 2011 PMC merchandise tables. Many people have asked me if all of my clothing has the PMC logo on it. My answer is, "Not quite - but I'll get there".
    I am always sad when Kristen has to leave to go home after the carb loading dinner. She should be able to share in more of the fun. Very few of you understand how much that she does as a PMC spouse. Bike training time and the PMC weekend itself is potential together time that Kristen willingly sacrifices. On top of that, there is the administration piece - stuffing envelopes, going to the post office, maintaining spreadsheets, etc, etc. "A horror show" would be too mild of a term to describe things if all of that were ever my responsibility. I ride the bike, but Kristen does so much more than that. So when we trade our mutual PMC related thank yous - me thanking you for contributing, and you thanking me for riding - please also thank Kristen for the huge role that she plays in this PMC thing.
<><><>     <><>
My lovely wife. Boy ... Did I overachieve or what!
    WCVB Channel 5 is this year's media sponsor of the PMC. We watched their "Chronicle" special on the PMC from our room. A lighter, breezier show than I expected. Hope that you enjoyed it if you watched. I've got to say that I much preferred the prequel to "Chronicle". I'm afraid that I've failed in my attempts to link the video to to this blog (ie: My teenagers aren't home to show me how to do it). However, if you go to www.pmc.org you will find the video at the bottom of the front page. Even if you choose to skip the words of PMC founder Billy Starr, Dana Farber President Ed Benz and Lance Armstrong - Do not miss the stirring words of rider Tym Rourke starting at the 31 minute, 30 second mark - That's what my PMC is all about.
    Saturday's wake up call is at 4am, so I've no shame admitting that I was in bed at 830pm

No comments:

Post a Comment