Provincetown Finish Line

Provincetown Finish Line
Moments after completing PMC #20. Feeling great - but definitely in need of a hair brush to fix a severe case of "helmet hair"

Thank You !

Friends -
    Riding a bike 192 miles across Massachusetts every August is both challenging and rewarding. Yet for me, the PMC has become less about a long distance bike ride, and more about being a vehicle to raise money for cancer research and treatment. That being the case, I can’t emphasize enough the vital link that each of you represents in this glorious chain of philanthropy. Using the statistics from my 2011 fundraising efforts, let me tell you about you - my supporters.
  • 131 individuals/families/businesses have pledged their support this year.
  • The average pledge is $79, ranging from $5 to $1,000.
  • Employer matching gifts total $955.
  • Contributors reside in 22 states, and 2 countries.
  • I have never met 5 of my supporters.
  • There are 19 supporters who I have not seen in person for 15 or more years.
  • I count 33 cancer survivors among my givers. I suspect there are more.
  • I also suspect that the lives of 100% have been impacted by cancer.
  • 21 of you have contributed for each of the 20 years I have ridden.
  • As of today (8/16/11), we have raised $11,575.
  • Our cumulative total for 20 years is $188,798.
   So as I reflect upon two decades of PMC participation I want to make sure that all of you know how profoundly grateful I am for your support. Small or big, yearly or every once in a while - and based upon whatever motivation you possess - each and every donation has meant a lot to me. But more importantly, each donation has moved us that much closer to the ultimate goal of a world without cancer. Thank you!
    You may have heard that Lance Armstrong participated in the PMC this year. As the global face of cancer advocacy via his Livestrong Foundation, Lance had some very interesting things to say during Friday evening’s opening ceremonies. Speaking to the gathered PMC riders, he said …

"People ask me all of the time how Livestrong is going. My immediate reaction is 'great', and that we've raised millions and millions to fight cancer. Then I step back and ask myself, 'Did I really say that it's great?' Well, we don't get to say that it's great. The day we get to say it's great is the day that they don't need us anymore.”

   The “us” that Lance mentions in the final sentence is of course organization like the PMC and Livestrong. And while completely understanding his sentiments, I have to take issue with Lance. Cancer diagnosis rates are down - Cure rates are up – and thanks to you, the PMC is going to raise another $30+ million this year to fund ongoing research and treatment. To me, that’s pretty great!

    Nonetheless, I do look forward to the day when I’m not needed anymore.

My Sincerest Thank You,

Bud Dodge

No comments:

Post a Comment